Re: [IP] sneaking food VERY VERY LONG

In a message dated 8/17/00 5:50:47 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<<  If the 5 year old continues to not cooperate at all, put
her back on shots and try again later. >>

But didn't Kevin say she had reported "sneaking" food on shots, also?  I am a
little worried about going back on shots seeming like a punishment, because
it is always possible the child might have to use that regimen again either
for insulin or some other drug.

<< Your mother sounded intimidated by your
diabetes (Is a 123 bg good?  Should you eat that?  All questions she should
have known the answers to in her sleep.)  >>

Lindsay, I actually thought your post was very good, but feeling a bit
contrarian this morning, thought I would defend Sara's mother.  Perhaps she
would usually have enough info to know if a 123 bg was good, but would she
always know if Sara was starting to have symptoms of a low or was planning to
go exercise extensively, and therefore should be having extra carbohydrate?
Isn't that sort of thing always a judgment call, and isn't it the place of
the mother to be involved with, encouraging but not always controlling, the
child's judgment?  Sounds to me like the kind of mother that raises an
independent, some might think smartypants, daughter who has ample capability
of making her way in the world.  Ah, parenthood is full of very fine lines.

Linda Z