[IP] Dating/relationships

This is my first posting to any kind of list anywhere, so please bear with me.  And thank you for letting me join your party (I don't have diabetes; I am just madly in love with my husband who does).
I realize that I'm preaching to the choir, but I find it puzzling that any person would decide not to have an intimate relationship with someone because he or she has diabetes.  I was surprised to learn of this phenomenon after I began dating Sayer (my husband).  When we first dated, on a canoe trip, I asked him what the sound was that I kept hearing and whether it was his pager.  That's when I received an abbreviated explanation of the insulin pump and thought little more about it.  Although he told me later that he was a bit surprised and concerned that I did not ask more questions about his diabetes but let it drop when it first came up.  Since then I have willingly and slowly picked up volumes of information and it is simply a part of our daily lives like my allergies (flowers, grass, mildew, mold, dust, trees, etc.), which he has had to adjust to.
I've also heard of families who do not want their child/sibling/whatever to marry someone with diabetes.  This also never came up in my way-too-prolific family (150 immediate family members on my side).  I talked my husband into doing a mini-presentation around the kitchen table for my 9 y.o. niece and 6 y.o. nephew.  Of course my sisters and Mom were right there as well bcs they are so nosy.  They were held in completely rapt attention for 30 minutes+ as he explained diabetes, showed them the site, tested, ate, and tested again.  (Including the 5 y.o. who pushed the big people around to get a better seat).  This is excellent because they have now gone from ignorant imagination and perhaps fear and concern to knowledge and empowerment.  They also felt better after I told them if they seem him acting goofy or if he crashes to the floor, just give him some juice and he'll be fine in a few minutes.
My husband is an extraordinary man and the pastor of a church (which, by the way, he says he could not do if not for his insulin pump because of the flexibility it gives him).   Having diabetes gives him a unique perspective on life and a certain compassion that he would not otherwise have.  (This is not to say that I wouldn't jump at a cure for him if it came.)  Enough (perhaps way too much) said.
Let me know if this is too long and I will try to be more concise next time.
Heidi (a.k.a. Pooh Bear)