Re: [IP] Child Pumper Crisis: Sneaking Food

>  What is so strange about this is she
> is cheating with saltines; half of lenders bagel she
> took from her 2 yr old brother, and other ridicules
> things. She is also cheating right after receiving a
> nice treat.

Actually, that makes a ton of sense  Your earlier email suggested her bgs
had not been too tightly  controlled lately.  When you run either high or
low, the bg can make you very hungry -- a sort of endlessly famished hunger
I remember well from  childhood. In addition, I find that as a grown up, I
suddenly get the muchies when I am swinging too much.  Saltines have salt
and probably counter some of the lost electrolytes that go with bgs above
the 150-180 range.  It's too bad that she needs to lie about it and that
our system for kids with diabetes doesn't allow them to acknowledge and act
with the way their body feels.  If you can determine a pretty close
carb/bolus ration, maybe you could start by letting her choose a few times
a day when she feels like she really needs to eat.  That kind of hunger is
often not particularly rational (as many of us adults can atest), so
helping her to come up with solutions to it might be more useful than
explaining why she shouldn't eat.  And, as others have pointed out, the
beauty of the pump is that is designed to allow us to eat when hungry and
not eat when not hungry.