[IP] Re:"cheating" rant

From: "Riske, Joyce M." <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] child pumper crisis - sneaking extra food

Our son   Did he "cheat" when younger?  Certainly.  BUT we still needed the information on how much had been eaten, so we quit calling it "cheating." Because of the impugned guilt, he wouldn't reply honestly. We started calling it "extra" food.   Joyce Riske

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!  There are few words related to diabetes care that annoy me more than "cheating," to refer to eating differently than someone else thinks you should eat.  We who live with diabetes make hundreds of choices every day related to when, how much, and what type of food we eat.  We continually make decisions and judgments related to insulin dosages, exercise, supplies, meals, recreation, timing, timing, and timing.  Some days I err on the side of impeccable diabetes control.  And some days, because I have a LIFE to live, I focus more on fun or work or travel or sleep or family or whatever.  But every day those decisions regarding diabetes are a part of what I do.  Balance is my key.

I test a lot, and I eat a lot of healthy food, and I see my endo every 3 months.  But I also know the incredible value of a Moon Pie or a Murphy's Irish Stout at the end of a stressful, lousy day (or in the middle of a really great day!).  I don't consider anything I do "cheating," and I think the word itself is dangerous, guilt-producing, and semantically wrong.  Some days we make better choices than others.  Education, trust, support, happiness, and the like make it easier for us to make those "strong" choices Sara talked about.  Please don't accuse your kids (or spouse or self) of cheating just because they made a lousy choice.  Do what it takes to help them make a better choice next time.  Make them aware of all their options so they won't feel so boxed-in by the limits diabetes imposes.  And don't, don't, don't encourage them to feel bad about themselves just because they screwed up.  Trust me--there will be hundreds of opportunities to make better, healthier choices tomorrow.

One other note, because I realize that the original post was in reference to a 5-year-old child who was eating in secret w/o bolusing and lying to her parents about it.  I think you have every right to be concerned about that behavior and worried about your daughter.  I think it's really important to address the issue now and to do it well.  Is there any way to get your daughter hooked up with some older, responsible pumpers?  It might help if she (and you) could see some real life happy, healthy, pumping grown ups in action and get some pointers from them.  E-mail is a little tough for a 5-year-old.

Stepping down for now.

14+ years IDDM, almost 5 since assimilation, but my boobs still don't look like 7 of 9's.  drat.