[IP] The skinny on *bad* Diet Coke

>the CocaCola people said "That's impossible" and sent me more
>coupons...  I still think they are fudging on the numbers somewhere, or
>their quality control person got laid off during the downsizing last fall...

It clearly isn't impossible if you're finding that Diet Coke sold in your
area tests positive for sugar. However, it would be appreciated if you'd
include the product lot numbers and expiration dates in your posts. You may
even be able to tell us the location of the bottling plant, which is
probably on the can or bottle. (One phone call to the bottling plant
manager with the identification information would likely provoke an
effusive response to avoid public embarrassment and rebuke from the home

>... when it turns the strips blue and turns the old urine test strips
>green it must have a significant amount of sugar in it.  I'm still betting
>on a non-sugar sugar.

If the test strips change color, the soft drink is NOT, repeat NOT a "diet"
formulation. It contains an appreciable amount of sugar, which means there
has been a _significant_ production problem. Coke needs to be warned (as
you've diligently tried to do) and it needs to react appropriately to the
warning you've provided. You can help by *consistently* citing lot numbers,
expiration dates, and bottling plant locations in all communications,
including posts to this mailing list. (BTW, the expiration dates merely
allow us to determine if the product is still likely to be found on store

>Sucrose is probably what they told you about, but many of the plants that
>make aspartame mix it with maltose or one of the other non-sugar sugars...

Correctly formulated traditional diet drinks (like Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi,
Diet Seven-Up, etc.) will NOT, repeat NOT change the color of test strips.
The trace amounts of sugar mentioned in some posts should NOT have any
effect on bg control.

The sugar (from dextrose, maltodextrin, etc.) in products like Sweet 'N
Low, Equal and other powdered sweeteners CAN raise bg, but only if used in
significant quantities, which is very unlikely given the high sweetening
power of the artificial sweeteners in those products. The powdered
artificial sweeteners typically come in packets that contain one gram of
carbohydrate. That's worth four calories. The packet will _replace_ two
teaspoons of table sugar (sucrose) that weigh a total of 16 grams and
contain 64 calories. By using the packet of sweetener, we thus save 15
grams of carb. FYI, the dextrose is used as a safe, inexpensive bulking
agent. It simply takes up space in the packet with something that's
harmless in the quantities provided. If the bulking agent is removed, the
product takes up too little space to be sold as a powder. (Instead, it can
be in the form of a small tablet -- that's the way saccharine is sold here
in France.)

So, we have to use 16 packets of artificial sweetener before we break even
with the calories in two measly teaspoons of sugar.

regards, Andy