Re: [IP] Child Pumper Crisis: Sneaking Food

I was diagnosed just before my 3rd birthday, 37 years ago.  I can't relate
to what it is being a parent of a diabetic child, but I guess I just want
to say I snuck A LOT and am still here to talk about it.

I am no psychologist and I don't know why we do it as kids, but I think
it's pretty common.  I really don't believe she is sabotaging your efforts,
she's a kid and is being a kid and dealing with having a chronic illness.

I think I got grounded a few times, hmm what else did they do, oh tell me
all the horrible things that would happen to me, but I think what really
impacted me was when they were calm and asked me how felt after eating
"this".  They sat and talked with me about why I was doing what I was
doing.  Did I never sneak food again, nope, but it lessoned a whole lot and
basically I think they let it go in my presence, but I am sure for them it
was very hard.

When I did some volunteer work for the ADA I had a support group at my home
for kids.  I also did weekend events with the kids.  I remember once I was
walking down this hill leading towards a concession store, and the girls
just freaked "oh my god, here comes the counselors".  They had just
purchased candy, etc..  The other counselor who is also diabetic, started
yelling at them, I looked at her and said, now how on earth can we yell at
them when we've done the same thing.  I then looked at the girls and said
"hey go for it, it's your life that your hurting, not mine".  Wow, they
actually threw the stuff away.  Then they would show up for the meeting
with candy, I told them the same thing.  Go right ahead, you're only
hurting yourself and if that's what you want then have fun.  The never
brought candy to the meetings.  I also had several parents call me and say,
wow so and so is really watching her diet etc.

I do hope this helps  and I wish I had the magic words that would get your
daughter to stop sneaking food.

Maybe a good family counselor would help all of you get through this.