Re: [IP] Child Pumper Crisis: Sneaking Food

In a message dated Wed, 16 Aug 2000  9:43:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Kevin <email @ redacted> writes:

<< Does anyone have a child that sneaks food, or remember if they did when they were small>>

I was diagnosed at age 6, cruelly, only a couple of weeks before Halloween.  I "cheated" many times when I was a kid.  I "abused" myself even more when I was a teenager.

IMO, 5 years old is very young to comprehend the implications of "cheating".  Keep in mind that I'm not a parent, I'm just a guy that was a diabetic kid.  At age 6, I had little concept of the "big picture" of this disease I had.  I think that I felt some guilt for all the "trouble" and expense I was causing my parents.  I didn't like being fussed over and I didn't like being "different".  I tried to do as I was told and felt alot of guilt every time I cheated, but being told you can't have something always makes you want it more.

By today's standards, the level of control I had would be consider dismal.  Today's kids are so much ahead of the game than we were back then: 1 shot a day of R/L, Testape for urine testing and a fasting blood sugar test maybe twice a year.  That test was just simple BG, too, not HbA1C until later on.  The exchange system of diet, and you were not supposed to change your insulin without consulting the all-knowing doctor. If you ran high, just eat less. Yeah, right.  The more I realize what doctors don't know now, the more I realize what they REALLY didn't know back then.

Sorry, I'm getting way off the subject.  At any rate, I think the point I was trying to get to was that your daughter's "cheating" is probably alot less harmful to her than what I did and I'm still doing ok 30 years later.  However, I realize it's completely ruining your efforts to set her basal rates.  Still, I wouldn't be too hard on her.  This is an awful lot for a 5-year old to accept.

It sounds like your daughter was given an incentive: "if you wear this pump, you can have treats".  To her, it's that simple and she's holding up her end of the deal.  From her perspective, I'd guess she thinks you guys are holding out on her.  Maybe it would help to make the promise of rewards less general and more specific, say something really special in particular for keeping with the program for a whole week.  Small steps.

just my thoughts,
T1 30 years, pumping since 07/10/00