[IP] Re: educating health prodessionals

> Today I swallowed my fear of speaking to grown ups and
> addressed a meeting of residents from my clinic on the impact pumping has
> made in my life. <snip>The reason I'm
> writing is, for those wondering if pumping is worth the hassle, if a woman
> who is totally paranoid about public speaking feels so passionately about
> pumping that she would face her fears and risk hives and become Duluth,
> Minnesota's pump evangelist, you can believe it's worth it! And if one
> other diabetic gets the pump because I helped (in a very small way) their
> doctor learn that it can change their patient's life, I guess I did ok.
> Thanks for letting me share. Lynn

Since I have not met you nor heard you speak, I can be honest. Many people
have a *great* message, but lousy delivery. The number 1 fear of most people
is public speaking - even after death! Personally, I'd rather speak than
die. lol   But I was sent to a Lion's Club to speak about DM - after I had
stood in front of thousands of ladies spread out over a decade to sell
Tupperware. I didn't have my *act* together. They gave me 20 minutes and I
took only 45!!!  I joined Toastmasters International - a communication and
leadership organization that even the astronauts and most Miss America
contestants join because of their speaking opportunities. More info can be
found at www.toastmasters.org to find a club near you. I have been a member
over 12 years, and my hugsband has been in over 6 years. It is a great group
with ongoing education. You always speak about what YOU want - no
assignments (except for the exceptions).

Poor delivery of a good message doesn't always draw repeat bookings. (smile)
And to keep this on topic, Tuesday will be the day I train United Way
volunteers how to speak when they ask corporations for $$. I have *trained*
a friend on pumps who will give a 3-5 minutes talk about our *fake*
organization - Insulin Pumpers - to give them an example.

Jan, DTM (Distinguished Toastmaster)
(61 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue (MM 507C 3/99)