Re: [IP] pump and magnetic cards

At 06:52 AM 08/15/00 email @ redacted wrote:
 >The last couple
 >of times I went running, I put my badge in the same little key pocket of my
 >running shorts where I put my pump.  They were both in there, probably
 >rubbing together a little but not much, for an hour at a time.  My badge
 >has stopped working

Pumps do have small electric motors and I believe that all these types of
motors generate a magnetic field. Whether the field it generates would be
strong enough to wipe out your card is hard to tell without doing some
experimenting... but it at least sounds possible. If we have any electrical
engineers out there, maybe we can get some more definitive information.