Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 16:56:25 -0600
From: Doreen McGlade <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Height (and lack thereof...)

Hi all--

Spot's response to the thread about delayed
menstruation intrigues me.
am one of seven full siblings (plus an additional
sibling on each side
the family tree--nine brothers and sisters in all).  I
was diagnosed
type I
at around ten years of age, some 33 years ago.  None
of my brothers or
sisters have developed D (of any type) to date.

I am several inches shorter than everyone else in my
family, and I've
always thought it was reasonable to assume this was a
result of my
diabetes during those growth years.  My son was
diagnosed at age 2, 16
years ago--he is taller than me, about equal in height
to his dad, and
still growing....  His blood sugar ranges have been
closer to "normal"
mine were, due to early diagnosis, home blood glucose
monitoring, and
course!) the pump.

So I'm curious--are most of you "oldtimers" shorter
than your siblings
parents?  And are most of our children with diabetes
less affected in

:-)  Doreen in Wyoming

Spot wrote:
...before the pump all maturation was slowed as was
growth and athletic
ability. A lot of the kids were getting along on 1400
calories a day,
1200. not enough to grow and develop normally. that
slows the
clock way down...

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail  Free email you can access from anywhere!