Re: [IP] ADD and the pump

My heart goes out to you in having to deal with "ADD" and diabetes in the
same kid.  You see, I have one diabetic child and one child who was depressed
for a few years.
We went through the testing, which basically showed nothing.  Therapy helped
somewhat, but didn't solve the problem.  All the while, the question of
ritilin hung over our heads.  I knew this wasn't the answer; my kid's case
wasn't clear cut.  Finally, I realized my son was depressed and I put him on
a low dose of Zoloft.  Within 2 weeks, he was skipping in the hallway and
offering to do chores and giving us all hugs and kisses.  After 18 great
months on the Zoloft, I took him off.  That was 2 years ago and he has
continued to grow into an outstanding human being.  His mood has been stable
and positive.  He will always be more sensitive than some, but this is
becoming an asset that gives him additional insight; rather than a liability
that holds him back.  What I learned during these dark days of my son's
development, is that you must view the so called experts as resources to
manage.  Do not assume everyone you talk to is right about your grandchild.
Everybody has their opinion, and that is all it is.  As a grandparent of a
kid with problems, you are held out there for all to judge and comment.  Take
the leadership role, and do what you think is best; as shaky as your judgment
may be at times.  The challenges presented by my son were much worse than
those presented by diabetes.  At least with diabetes you are out of the
closet and most people are sympathetic.  The blame factor is much reduced
with diabetes.  Many ADD kids are at risk for being labeled bad kids.  And my
experience with teachers has not been good.  Many aren't up to the challenge.
 And it is a challenge having ADD kids in your classroom.  I was a teacher
once myself.  Only the best ones can service an ADD kid well.  So I agree
with the other postings about stabilizing bgs before any more testing.  I
thought the coffee idea sounded good too.  As exhausting and depressing as it
is, educate and advocate constantly for your grandchild within the school
system.  Your grandchild's situation is not necessarily progressive.  It
could very well have a happy ending.  Take heart.  You sound like you are
doing a great job.