[IP] Experiences

I have just returned from an awesome week at Camp Carolina Trails.  CCT is a
camp for children with Diabetes.  I worked as a counselor again this year.
Every year, I learn so much.  This year, I learned how valuable this list is
to me.  I wished the whole time I was there that the kids I was working with
had this resource.  I had a cabin with 12  13-year old girls( I had more but
those were medical staff kids).  I had more than half of them on insulin
pumps and I was shocked at how many of them did not know how to use their
pumps or insert an infusion set or just perform what I feel is a basic pump
task.  I was shocked when one of the girls in my cabin told me that her
parents did her insertion and everything for her.  She only knew how to
bolus.  I tried to imagine what my life would be like if I had this wonderful
thing attached to me and did not know how to use it but depended on someone
else to control it.  I learned that this was a camp wide thing. It occurred
mostly with the younger children but was wide spread.  It was hard to imagine
having to have someone do everything for me when I have been so independent
since becoming diabetic.

On a more happy note, this was once again one of the best weeks of my life!
I LOVE this camp.  I have been there for 14 years as a camper and now a
counselor for 5 years.  I wish all kids with diabetes could have the
experience these kids do.  I also got to meet Susan Fisher from IP.  She is
wonderful.  She even helped a few of my campers out with pump stuff:)  Susan,
hope you had a good time.

I just had to share the good and bad of diabetes and pumping and the whole
camp experience.  Attached is the camp homepage with photos from years past.
Hope you enjoy them.

      Cheri :)

<A HREF="http://members.spree.com/college/adamrc20/">Carolina Trails 1999!</A>
Susan Fisher..........How do you feel? cause I feel good, oh I feel so good ,
hit me:)