[IP] C-Peptide test

Having asked about it a while back, thought I would report on my experience
with the C-peptide test. The one they did on me cost $56.50, and gave results
in pmol/L, with 170-900 being the normal range.  My result read "less than
33", which the lab person told me meant not enough to be measured (after
being diagnosed 45 years ago at age 8, it sure would have surprised me to
have measurable endogenous insulin production).  Of course, Medicare has it
written in its new regulations that one has to have a C-peptide level of less
than 0.5, and that was certainly the scale in which my doctor had been
thinking, so don't know whether the lab at my local hospital is leading the
way or just making things more difficult.

Linda Z