Re: [IP] A Long Vent On Frustrating DIABETES Misconceptions

email @ redacted wrote:  I said nothing about how one gets AIDS.  I was simply
telling members

> about misconceptions people have about diabetes.  I realize you cannot get AIDS
> from swimming pools, toilets, kissing, etc . . . The ignorant folks who assumed I
> was contagious were the ones w/the AIDS misconception.  So, to answer you
> question Ruth . . . no I am not guilty of the same misconceptions about others as
> they have about us.  I try to educate all the people with incorrect information
> about diabetes and I try to educate myself b/f having an opinion.
> Santana

That's great.  But it strikes me that that kind of off hand dismissal of people with
HIV is not unlike what we complain about about diabetes.  Type 1 is becoming more
widely known these days so the stigma is a little less, but as many of usknow, we
were once sometimes seen as self-abusers, sick from eating too much junk.  There are
now many people who have HIV and the causes of their disease are multiple.  It just
strikes me that they deserve the same sensitivity and respect we do.

Not trying to be too heavy handed.  Anyway, I think you all know what I mean.