[IP] Cataract surgery report

Hi folks.  Have spent my first post-surgery stretch in front of computer
reading all the piled-up IP digests, which for awhile made me put down my
Diet Coke in alarm.
(For what it's worth, I was under the impression real Southern gals drank Dr.
Pepper, which is, btw, heaven with peanuts plopped in.)
anyway the surgery was apparently successful, altho I won't know how much so
for awhile.  Right now my left eye sees better, I think, yet still blurry and
the world is tinted pink.  I spend most of my time administering drops and
wearing funky goggles that have caused my husband to nickname me "Superfly."
Several people asked, so I'll just bore the whole list with this report.
Sorry it's so long:
I went in with instructions from my GP to leave the pump on during the whole
mess (endo has been on vacation).  Started fasting the night before.  Had
nightmare based on scene from Bunuel/Dali film where woman has eye slit by
razor.  Got up at 5 am w/a BG of about 200, probably stress-related, and
bolused 1 unit.  Checked in at the surgery at 6:30, BG now 94.  Waited around
alot.  Received copy of Patient Bill of Rights and vitals taken.  Gave
printed copy of instructions to leave pump on to nurse, who was alarmed by
it.  Faxed copy had not arrived.  Another nurse came with a series of drops
to put in my eyes, and would not tell me what they were, so I asked to talk
to someone who knew.  BG now 74, so I cranked basal down from .4 to .2/hr.
just to be safe.  Nurse 1 came in to test my BG.  I said I just did it, it
was 74, and I was adjusting my basal so it would go up a bit.  This did not
make the nurses satisfied.  They told me the doctor needed to know what was
going on with the pump so he could deal w/it during surgery.  Fine, I said,
tell him, but I'm not even certain he knows I have the pump, since I had only
talked to his nurse about it, and the faxed instructions from my GP had not
apparently arrived.   nor would he probably know what to do with or about it,
since he is an opthamologist.  The Doc comes around, wanting to know what the
problem is.  I explain about the pump.  He says, sounds like you know what
you're doing, why are they asking me?, tells me what's in the drops.  Within
1/2 hour my eye is dilated and numb, I have an IV site established, my BG is
up to 124, and I'm wheeled down for surgery.  I meet the anesthesologist and
ask what she'll give me.  Surprise (for which you all have prepared me):
there's glucose in the cocktail.  I ask her to go sans glucose, since I'll
only be knocked out for a couple of minutes while they put the gruesome
needle anesthetic in my eye.  She says, but you're taking insulin. I explain
again the pump.  She finally understands that all I have going is a basal
rate.  She seems to be getting what that is.  Another nurse arrives to do my
BG, but I tell her it is 124 and she goes away.  The anestheseologist cuts me
a deal:  her IV is all set up with glucose.  She'll just run it a tiny while
to get the IV going  (flush it, I think she said) and that will minimize the
effect on my BG.  At this point, it will apparently be a huge deal to do
otherwise, so I agree.  As I am being wheeled away I make my husband swear he
will do my BG as soon as I get back and if I am asleep and high or low he
will wake me up.
In Operating Room 45, Willie Nelson is singing "You Were Always on My Mind."
I am hooked up to various machines and draped so that only my eye pokes
through.  In go the drugs.  Suddenly it is later and Willie has morphed into
"Horse with no Name" and they are operating.  It takes maybe 15 minutes.  Not
comfortable, but not painful either.  My blood pressure gets r e a l l y low
(it runs low anyway) right at the end, but comes back up as I recover.  I get
a giant gauze and shield cover taped on half my face and am wheeled to
another room.  My husband comes in, BG 168.  I put my basal back up to .4
We wait endlessly and I get a killer headache which goes away with 3 cups of
weak hospital coffee and 2 XS Tylenol.
I get home wrung out, have a sandwich and ice cream, bolusing for the carbs,
and fall asleep for an hour or so.  When I wake up my BG is 489 (!!!!) and I
feel dreadful.  Good God.  Here's the funny part:  the reason it was high?
My SET FELL OUT.  This has Never Happened Before!  In a year of pumping, I've
never had this happen!  It must have happened when I got dressed to go home,
since I was stumbling around a little and recall accidentally yanking on the
tubing once.  The bolus for my lunch must have run down my leg uselessly.  So
I go through all these machinations and maintain good control during the
surgery, and then wind up nearly in DKA because of a stupid thing like that.
The eye itself doesn't hurt much, just a little sore and scratchy. It looks
irritated and has a dark circle underneath.  I'm in wait and see mode, but I
think I am seeing better. As far as he can tell, the Doc is calling it a
success. My basals are up a bi since I'm supposed to take it easy and am just
draping myself around the house, not even doing housework, heh-heh.  And
despite the foul-up at the end, I'm satisfied with how I did with my pump.

Going to rest my good eye now.
Thanks for all the support and advice.
Trish (aka "Superfly" or "One-Eyed Jack")