Re: [IP] 5 hours with no insulin

I had a very similar experience the day before yesterday. I was working
out in the gym and my infusion set fell out (8:30 p.m.). I went home, put
a new one in and tested my sugar an hour later and it was 11.4 (205.2) I
bolused a unit and went to bed. I woke up at 3:00 a.m. and felt tired,
sick and nauseated and tested my sugar, the meter read 23.3 (419.4). I
again changed my set, bolused 12 units and went back to bed. I woke up in
the morning at 9:00 am, still feeling sick. I checked my sugar and it was
19.6 (352.8) I suspected that it was something to do with either the
insulin cartridge itself (insulin gone bad) or my infusion sites
themselves (abdomen being over-used) but just to make sure, I skipped
breakfast and bolused 9 units (after changing the infusion set and
location yet again) 2 hours later my sugar had not fallen but gone up
again. I quickly took my pump off and gave 14 units of humalog with my
Huma-Pen. After 2-3 hours my sugar slowly came back to normal. I later put
my pump back in (after changing the insulin cartridge) and my sugar
remained stable. I still can't figure out what the problem was because if
it were something wrong with the pump itself an error message would have
been displayed (and there wasn't any) and if it had to do with the tubing
itself the problem would have been corrected when I repeatedly changed the
infusion set (it wasn't) and I checked the pump itself and it was in "run"
mode the whole time and the bolus recall said the pump had given me my
full dosage...It's very strange because it means that I went about 12
hours with little or no insulin!