Re: [IP] What's Next? Waiting for Insurance Approval

In a message dated Fri, 11 Aug 2000 12:24:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Laura L. Shapiro" <email @ redacted> writes:

<< Anyway, what role does the trainer play, since they don't know your current dose, etc.?  Does the educator or doctor give them the starting numbers to use, or do you have meetings at both places?>>

In my case, I met with the pump trainer at my endo's office for the pump start.  My endo provided the starting numbers and was available for any questions later, but did not participate in the training itself.  The pump trainer went though the ins and outs of the pump and set insertion.  The whole thing lasted about 2 hours and I was out the door pumping "live" insulin.  My understanding is that such brief training is not typical.  I do have 30 years experience as IDDM with reasonably good control.  I did study up on the pump and the materials provided (and this list!) prior to the training sessions.

T1 30 years, mm508 since 07/10/00