[IP] Re:mental clarity: alcoholics and diabetics

This post is really interesting to me, as I grew up in an alcoholic
family. BTW, there is some research that suggests that growing up in such
a family is one stress pre-trigger to diabetes. My parents are
alcoholics, although they've never admitted this, and my sister is a
recovering alcoholic. Many times after she went into one of her rehabs
our diseases were compared to each other. I didn't always agree with this
line of thinking. Although I do think alcoholism is a disease, I also saw
that this comparison gave my sister an excuse to not work very hard at
coping with hers. It made it 'uncontrollable'. But...YMMV. This was only
my experience. I also felt that it sometimes took away from the
seriousness of diabetes. For example, if my bg goes low, I could pass out
and die. Such emergency situations don't occur with most alcoholics, and
if they do, it's usually end-stage alcoholics. To me, it becomes like
comparing apples to oranges, and confuses both diseases and their
complications for those who have to live with them.

In my family, I was often accused of having a low blood sugar to get
attention. I remember telling my brother during church that I was low,
and he told me I couldn't be--it was church! Thank god (literally) that
the communion wafer got me home to some orange juice. I learned at times
to be very quiet about getting some coke, and not to ask for help too
many times. Just last Christmas, before I got the pump and was still on
shots, I was at my parent's for Xmas dinner. Mom delayed the dinner for
hours (drinking doesn't help with getting dinner on time), and told me to
take my shot about 11/2 hours before dinner was finally served. Noone
noticed me slipping away on the sofa. When I finally got to the table, I
dissolved into tears and almost fell into my food! Noone blinked an eye,
except my sister-in-law, a quick thinking physician's assistant, who got
me out of there and got me juice. I came back to the table, and not a
word was said.  BTW, I've gone through lots of counseling to deal with
this, and still am dealing with it.

David, could I suggest that your wife may find Al-Anon helpful? And you
may as well. It was a lifesaver to me when I was in high school, trying
to deal with all these alcoholics. It really may help her deal with her
issues with her Dad, and ultimately disassociate those issues from your
diabetes. You're more than welcome to reply to me off-list about this

So glad this list exists. I hope I didn't offend anyone--wasn't meaning

Maureen M.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!