[IP] A Long Vent On Frustrating Pump Misconceptions

I have a frustrating "misconceptions about the pump"

Some (not all, but most) of my relatives know very
little about insulin pumps.  I have tried to explain
information about pumps and diabetes to them - I don't
know how many times I have talked with them about
pumps, telling them what it is, what it does and why I
love it and why it is so important to me.

Despite all of this, some of my relatives are still
aloof to the pump, and the rest either don't care or
think the pump will kill me....literally.  My mother
hates the pump so much that if I was still living with
her I would be put back on shots immediately or I
never would have SEEN a pump.

While I usually try my best to correct their
(ignorant) beliefs, sometimes their comments anger me.
 I often think, "Didn't you even listen to what I have
told you?"  Worse yet, sometimes they give me lectures
about what diabetes is, etc., etc.  Some
misconceptions hurt so much I don't even know what to
think, much less say.

For example, the other day it was hot and humid.  My
shirt got wet (either through my spilling a glass of
water on my shirt or because I was sweating, I'll
never know).  Anyway, one of my family members saw my
shirt, gasped and said, "Your pump is leaking!"

Sure enough, there was a big wet spot on the side of
my shirt where my pump was.  It angers me that they
think I would trust my life to a worthless piece of
junk that would fall apart and kill me.

Hummmm.....  I guess a pump could leak some insulin,
but not THAT much.  I wish they could understand how
much I care about my health and how often I think
about my diabetes.  I wish I could tell them, but
something tells me they would ignore it.  *sigh*

Why can't people place themselves in another person's
shoes and try to be more understanding?

Melissa Collins

Do You Yahoo!?