Re: [IP] I need Everyones help-Please

In a message dated 8/9/00 5:09:02 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I applied for a job and was offered a position with a company. Today,
after getting my physical results, they told me they couldn't hire me due to
me being diabetic. They said that since I may occasionally have to drive a
commercial vehicle, that the department of transportation would pass me on
the physical. Is this legal?  >>

Is it legal? Yep. The code clearly says that taking insulin prohibits a
person from getting a commercial driver's license. Your best bet may be to
focus on the "*may occasionally* have to ..." to see if reasonable
accommodation can be made so that you *never* have to. Probably could see
about getting an exemption through the Americans with Disabilities Act. You
might consult with a lawyer who specializes in ADA stuff. (I am not a lawyer,
nor do I ever want to be.)

Did they send you the entire citation or just the part dealing with insulin?
Here's the whole megillah: <A

Jan (and Elvis)