Re: [IP] High Blood Sugars after eating -- esp. breakfast

Sue (dalgal) wrote:

>>RoseLea wrote she boluses 1.5u as she gets out of bed in the morn. and
i:15 with breakfast. Do you do this even if your BS is normal when you get
up. Could you explain. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind this.

Yes, Sue, I do this even if my BS is normal.  The reasoning is that my BS
rises in the am just because I woke up and got out of bed.  I discovered
this phenomena by doing a morning fast.  Getting out of bed and eating
nothing in the am causes my BS to rise to over 200, even if it was in normal
range when I woke up.  Some people experience this, some do not.  I believe
it has something to do with hormones releasing into your system to get your
motor running.   I bolus a little additional if I am high in the am, but
always bolus the 1.5u when I wake up before my feet hit the floor.  If I do
not eat any breakfast, this 1.5u seems to stabalize my BS and keep it pretty
much the same as it was when I woke up.  If I do not bolus, I will be over
200 whether I eat or not.  Try a morning fast, check your BS every hour
after you get up without eating anything and see what happens.  Some people
also report that their basals being set too low will cause this, but this
happens to me regardless of what time I get up in the morning, so if I raise
my basal and get up later I run the risk of a low.  I hope this helps.