Re: [IP] re: diabetes & twins

Natalie -

I thought that if you did not have the gene, you would not get it.

Also given my experience, here is what I know.

A certain strain of cocksackie virus is what triggers the onset (at
least one of the triggers).  It could also be attributed to some
vaccinations as doctors will see no children dxd and then all of a
sudden groups at a time are dxd.   These vaccinations were noted in
Andrew's med records and are for MMR (mumps measles, rubella) and
varacilla.   This is what was said to me with my 4 year old son Andrew
who was dxd at 14 mos.old.

My son Brenden who just turned one recently had hand, foot, and mouth
virus which is a cocksackie virus, this is why I wanted him tested
immediately.

I hesitated to get the vaccinations for Brenden at 12 mos old, but,
finally gave into them at 13 mos old after he got over the hand foot and
mouth.  So at this point, no one can convince me that these are not
related to the onset!!

We orginally had Brenden tested at 6 mos and all was well, so something
did change within the past 6-7 mos.

I have not been able to find any research literature to confirm this,
but, it seems too ironic that both of my children would experience the
same thing/ same age etc.

Maybe this info will help others who are at risk on this website.

Thanks for the info.
Lisa