[IP] Special Shoes

> I don't have the special shoes but have special custom made orthopodic
> inserts ($175) I have to wear & get new ones made every few years.  My
> insurance did pay for it because the doc said I had to have them to
> function.   I had to give up high heels, ALL Heels over 3/4"!   Missed
> desperately for about 3 weeks and now would never go back. Doc recommended
> some special shoes but I said no...that will never work with dress
> Maybe you could ask about the orthopedic inserts instead.
> Bonnie Richardson

The orthotics are thicker than the insoles of off-the-shelf shoes.  The
special shoes are generally extra depth to accommodate the orthotics without
making the shoe too small.  P.W. Minor makes good looking extra-depth dress
shoes.  Apex is another who makes the Ambulator shoe.  New Balance makes
extra-depth sport (running/walking) shoes but, I think, only available from
prosthetic/orthotic services.  With adequate toe room these types of shoes
also fit better.

John Kinsley
email @ redacted
Type 1 since 1956