Re: [IP] Autonic bladder

At 11:14 PM 8/7/00 -0400, you wrote:
 >That is exactly what the urologist said. I assumed it was spelled with a
 >- because he described what I had read about autonomic neuropathy.
 >So how are these conditions related (neurogenic bladder & atonic bladder)?

Glad I was able to help, Beth.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a medical professional and any information in this
note is based on my best guess given available information.  Please consult
with your endocrinologist for the low-down scoop.

Atonic means lacking physiological tone--in small words, your bladder is
weak and can't squeeze out all the urine when you pee.  That's why the
urologist suggested manually pressing the bladder to empty it.

Actually, it may not be related to neuropathy at all.  Note that the Merck
says, "In women, detrusor underactivity is usually idiopathic."  This means
that it, "arises spontaneously or from an obscure or unknown cause."
(Websters New Collegiate Dictionary, 1977; I didn't know what it meant,
either, so I looked it up.)  In other words, doctors don't know why it
happens. ;-D

If it is related to neuropathy I'm not sure what the connection is, but my
guess would be that the nerve that sends the impulse to squeeze the bladder
is impaired. This can be due to either autonomic or peripheral neuropathy.

I think there may be ways to diagnose some types of neuropathy, but I am
not well versed enough to tell you what they are.  I'm sure others on the
list can help.

You can read the Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy online for free
without any subscription.  Just browse to http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual/

I've found it to be extremely useful, if a bit impenetrable.

Hope this helps,