Re: [IP] Autonic bladder

At 11:32 AM 8/6/00 -0400, you wrote:
 >I'm concerned about a diagnosis I was given by a urologist. Urodynamic tests
 >indicated autonic (spelling) bladder

Is it possible that the diagnosis was atonic bladder?  This would be
another way to describe what the medical professional apparently calls
detrusor underactivity, a type of incontinence that can be caused by
diabetic neuropathy, among other things.

Gosh, I just love learning about all the fun new complications I might get!

Anyway, here's what I found in the Merck Manual
http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual/section17/chapter215/215c.htm.  There was
no mention of any link to kidney failure.

CAUTION: Medical Mumbo Jumbo below

Detrusor underactivity sufficient to cause urinary retention and overflow
incontinence occurs in about 5% of incontinent persons. Causes include
injury to the nerves supplying the bladder (eg, by disk compression or
tumor involvement) or the autonomic neuropathy of diabetes, pernicious
anemia, Parkinson's disease, alcoholism, and tabes dorsalis. In men with
chronic outlet obstruction, the detrusor may be replaced by fibrosis and
connective tissue, so the bladder fails to empty even when the obstruction
is removed. In women, detrusor underactivity is usually idiopathic.

Symptoms of severe detrusor underactivity (eg, urgency, frequency,
nocturia) may mimic those of detrusor overactivity, and urinary retention
must be excluded before initiating treatment. Less severe degrees of
bladder weakness are common in older women. Although mild weakness does not
cause incontinence, it can complicate treatment if other causes of
incontinence also exist.