From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2000 8:15 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] sugar free is not carb free

dauna wrote
>  sugar went up to 331 after eating a sugar free archway cookie.
> They are 16g of carb but do I have to worry about the sugar alcohol?

I am sure you know this, but to those who might not realize it....a carb is
carb is a carb...doesnt matter if it comes from honey, white sugar, brown
sugar, raisins, a snickers bar, green beans, milk or a banana...you must
bolus for  the carbs you eat.  Sugar-free means hardly nothing...maybe it is

sweetened with fruit juice...fructose IS A SUGAR.  or manitol...remember
those nasty Estee candies sweetened with Manitol m(is that what is was)  I
particularly loved the warning about it having a laxative affect!  LOL.

If the total carbs of one cookie are 16, then I personally would bolus 1
unit...as my ratio is actually 1:16.  I don't think the sugar alcohol,
whatever that is, is SEPARATE from the total carbs...if it IS in addition to

the total carbs then yes you have to bolus for it.  I am not familiar with
that.

Anything that ends is -ose is a sugar...sucrose, glucose, lactose, maltose,
dextrose...well not everything...dose, hose, rose, nose, close, those (heh
heh...even "those") aren't sugars...but you get my drift...

Dont let yourself get upset by the 331...take it as part of your on-going
science project...eat another one and see how much insulin you need to avoid

a spike like that...ENJOY your food, whether is it sugar free or full of the

stuff!!!  :-)

my suggestion is eat another one...heh heh...more cookies...is GOOOOD

LOL

Sara SP