[IP] sugar alcohol?

Hi Everyone,
     I am working on the carb counting and was very frustrated today when my
sugar went up to 331 after eating a sugar free archway cookie. They are 16g
of carb but do I have to worry about the sugar alcohol? The sugar alcohol in
the chocolate chip is 9g.  Do I have to look for the sugar alcohols when
carb counting?
     My husband brought me the sugar free cookies as a gift.  He is having a
hard time with the "real sugar" items after so many years of sugar free
stuff. I brought the 331 down right away but it was upsetting.  Any input on
this would be appreciated.