Re: [IP] Basal rates question

That's anyone of those directions that is an oversimplification of the information.  A problem with testing too frequently can be that if you are testing before the cycle of food or insulin is over, you are getting a number that is in transit.  For instance, if you eat an apple, take the bolus for it and test 1/2 hour later you may have gotten all the apple but not yet all the insulin.  So, if your bg is something like 180 and you bolus for it, you might go low since ultimately you will have more than enough insulin.  Actually, though, I think the only real issue is not when you test or how much, but if you are not reading the results well -- i.e. forgetting to factor in what else is going on. The fasts in the Paumping Insuli book break the day into 3 parts.  That makes it pretty doable for most adults.

Lynn Nurczyk wrote:

I was under the impression that fasting meant eating nothing all day and I
was not eager to try that.  I did test several times each night for the
first week, but now she said to just test at 3 a.m. every few days, just to
be sure.
The other issue I have is this:  For years I have been hounded about not
testing enough, and everyone told me that with the pump, you have to test
very often.  Well, for me, testing is the easiest thing in the world.  No
matter where I am, I can do a test quickly and discreetly, and then I know
exactly what my BG level is - no guessing.  When I went to see the CDE a few
days ago, she said I should keep testing before meals, but I should cut out
after meal, middle of the night and other in-between tests.  She said she
has patients who test way too often and she wishes she could convince them
not to.  I don't understand this.  Since carb counting is so new to me, and
still a big guessing game, I want to test often to see if I am doing this
right.  Has anyone else ever had a CDE or MD tell them not to test so often.
I don't think that testing 8-13 times a day is excessive.