[IP] Re: Do you rebound high from a low

Although I haven't seen every post in this thread, one of the many
advantages of a pump are the ability to deal better with lows, and
highs.  I was originally taught that the most important issue for dm'ers
was to avoid lows and to overtreat them when they occurred (1966).  The
biggest problem for diabetics were problems from lows, long term
complications were not as important as dying right away.  Whether the
following highs were the result of overtreatment or the release of all
the stores of adrenaline and glucose, it was considered unavoidable and
was brought back down gradually.  On shots I would quckly go up to over
300 (or higher) and take days to balance out again, trying to avoid a
rebound of the rebound with another low from the longer acting insulins
of those days.

The reason that my HbA1c's are now 'normal' (6.2) is that I can quickly
recover from both lows, and highs, not that I no longer have them.  If
my bg is 42, I will take 24 grams of carbs (at 4grams/25 points), which
would 'theoretically' bring my bg to 192.  When it is clear that the
carbs are doing their job (bg>130 and rising), I will take the needed
insulin to get back to less than 150 (1 unit).  In this method, I rarely
rebound over 200.  Everything will vary, depending on when I took the
last bolus (delayed response) ate (gastro) and activity.  After 34
years, I am slowly learning how my body reacts to different things.
There are many ways to treat lows and highs in quick or slow acting ways
(bolus's, glucose tabs, longer digesting foods, delaying or eating
earlier, basal changes, etc.).  I can normally figure out what will
happen next by what has been happening.  Just to make it more exciting,
my basal's, bolus's and ratios constantly need adjusting, making living
a full time job.

Jack Granowski
email @ redacted
A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

 - H. L. Mencken