Re: [IP] Re: Do you rebound high from a low?

I've read some mixed responses on rebounds - I think different people have
different levels of response. Young kids seem to have REALLY strong rebound
symptoms when he is low. His worst rebound was in the middle of the night. He
went to bed in the high 100s, and I figured he was fine. He woke us up
somewhere around 3am. He was white as a ghost, covered with sweat, had soaked
his pullup, and was very confused. He was looking in the mirror talking about
seeing snow. I tested him and he was over 500!!!

We didn't give him any extra insulin (he had already had too much and he had
no ketones), his body reabsorbed most of the glucose through the night. He
woke up high, but I think it was somewhere in the high 200s. It was scary, but
I'm thankful his hormones kicked in and released his stores, because it could
have been much worse!

There is something called Somogyi effect. Some doctors believe that it does
not exist (or that if it does it is very rare), and that the highs after a
hypo are from overtreating. I believe I have seen rebounds first-hand,
although I guess without CGM we'll never know for sure!

Either way, I have seen many times when I have been adjusting my son's insulin
where DEcreasing the short-acting in the morning brought his lunch BG LOWer. I
never observed him having a hypo, but I suspected he was rebounding when his
BG was so high at lunch. And the results from DEcreasing his insulin seem to
support the theory.

Mom to Celia (6 and non-diabetic) and Ryan (3, dx'd 2/9/00 and pumping soon!)