[IP] The "bible" needs updating

This thought has been festering.
    "Pumping Insulin"  is indeed the pumpers'  Bible in that it instructs us
in the proper treatment of man slaves  and what to do if you see one of your
brother's oxen stray.
    O.K.That's an exaggeration. But  it's time for the authors to update
this staple of a guidebook to incorporate Humalog information and I don't
mean tacking on a "Humalog supplement," which others have correctly
described as a reworking of Eli Lilly's package insert.
   The book, published in 1994,  needs a recalculation of estimated starting
doses, the timing for the fasting tests for fine tuning basals, start up
projections for insulin  and carbohydrate ratios  and ratios for insulin to
BG points over target.   The unused insulin rule needs to be calculated for
Humalog. The timing of boluses for smoothing after meal peaks needs
recalculating,  guidelines on basal reductions and basal increases for
exercise and sick days -- In short, everything in the book needs redoing to
incorporate what is known about Humalog. And it would be nice to have a
volume that considers the features that come with the newer pumps and
infusion sets -- things like dual wave and square wave bolusing capability,
setting  temporary basal rates, quick release and more.
    It should do all this and still present the information on Regular
because some pumpers use Velosulin or a mix.
    If this were a perfect world, I would also dream of a spiral bound
volume with a cover and paper that doesn't curl. (At least the got rid of
the pictures in the middle of text that made "Stop the Rollercoaster" so
difficult to read.)
      My frustration is that Pumping Insulin is *almost*  the book I need. I
can see its potential but am frustrated because 1) it would not be wise to
just apply the information as is. 2) Although I could make up algorithms to
try to make conversions based on the likely action of Humalog, that is time
consuming.  3) it is also risky, because mathematical errors are easy to
make and there could be some piece of information I am overlooking.
     Why am I griping about this here and now?
    Well, I'm pulling together my thoughts to write to the
authors/publishers of "Pumping Insulin" and I'm inviting yours. I also think
that new pumpers (and I still am one) should perhaps be alerted to the
book's insufficiencies.  And maybe there are a different set of authors out
there wondering what book they should write now.

Anika, the heretical