[IP] No Carb Diets

I've been lurking through the recent discussions on carbohydrates and now - with Wayne out there paving the way- I can't stand it any longer.
All the manipulations with fats, protein, and carbs are risky.  Yup, whole foods pretty much yield some of all of them and our bodies function best with a variety of whole natural foods. Eating one or the other food with the exclusion of any, ultimately jeopardizes the body's defenses.

BUT you can survive on just about anything for amazingly long periods of time.  The fact that you get sort of a high from complete fasting (water only) goes to show you can get by without carbs - you just can't do it very safely for any length of time and of course, YMMV.  The body breaks down both fats (about 8%) and proteins (about 50%) when you have excessive amounts of either in your system.  The problem, especially for the diabetic is that  1) it happens very slowly  2) it may not be enough to meet your energy needs 3) excess protein is very expensive.    Proceed with caution, PLEASE.

The Sometimes Nutritionist