Re: [IP] Re: low carb diet

Gianna, I think most adult American adults eat way more protein than they
need.  The 60 g you eat is at the upper limit of what is needed per day,
but that is not very much at all!!!  A little more than 2 oz-- half a
quarter pounder *S*  A few slices of cheese and nuts will do just fine for
a day.
 There was an article in the Baltimore Sun last week about a guy who comes
to a steak house in town every year to eat TWO 48 oz (no typo) prime steaks
in one sitting!!!!!   Says he likes red meat a lot.  Duh.
 I feel sorry for his kidneys!!

About protein being hard on kidneys--from what I understand, and I'm sure I
will be corrected if others think differently :), most people don't get the
amount of protein they truly need.  Personally I don't follow a "high
protein" diet, I try to maintain an "adequate protein" diet, which for me at
140 pounds would be about . . . i think about 60
grams a day . . .also I read somewhere that if you don't have any kidney
damage the "extra" protein doesn't matter . . . and the lower carb diet will
improve BG control which reduces complication risk . .everyone feel free to
respond if you feel differently . .I don't mind controversy . ..but please
no hate mail! --Gianna

Wayne Mitzner, Ph.D.
The Johns Hopkins University
615 N. Wolfe Street