Re:[IP]MiniMed glucose sensor

in Aug1999/msg02850
>Subject: [IP] Lancets at school/ MiniMed glucose sensor From:
>email @ redacted Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 06:32:05 EDT Annette asks about:
>trainer from endo's office let me know MM glucose sensor has been approved
PMA PreMarketingApproval is a long way from actual public usage,
#"ability of MiniMed to complete successfully the development
#and introduction of continuous glucose monitoring system products"
see http://www.minimed.com/files/snsr_fac.htm
>only going to be available at doctor's offices now, correct?
As we have seen in the above reference:
#Initial use of the sensor is targeted toward physicians
#and other health care professionals. ...
#The sensor is designed to be worn by a patient for
#up to three days;  <<comment: sounds just like infusion sets!>>
#however, the actual life of glucose sensors
#may vary from patient to patient. <<corporatese for YMMV!>>
#Is currently intended for occasional rather than everyday use,
#is to be used only as a supplement to, and not a replacement for, #standard
invasive measurement.
<<DCWinegarden comment: plan on more, not less finger-sticking!>>
#Is not intended to change patient management based on the numbers
#generated, but to guide future management of the patient based on
#response to trends noticed.
#That is, these trends or patterns may be used to suggest
#when to take the fingerstick glucose measurements to better
#manage the patient.
Just like what we talk about here already on finger-stick patterns.
>Would my son be able to use
it (since it is only for 3 days) if he does not get a MM?
#This depends wholly on MiniMed corporate policies.
If they actually do, as is widely rumored
and has so obviously been suggested to you, restrict usage
to only those patients using their manufacture of pumps,
they might defend it as "just their way of selecting the
very small number of initial subjects".
But also open themselves up to complaints from those of us
using Disetronic pumps, and the far larger number of people
with diabetes who do not pump insulin, but inject it,
or even larger, not inject it! ( Remember, pumping type1's
like me and your son and MOST IP-list members, are but a
small fraction of type1's, who are outnumbered by
insulin-injecting type2's, only a few of whom have yet been
granted the benefit of using CSII. And they are outnumbered
by both diagnosed but treated by non-injection methods type2's
and un-diagnosed people with diabetes.
All of these "classes" should be perfectly-suited to being
"subjects" for such 72-hour usage of the "MiniMed C.G.M.S"
or "MiniMed's continuous glucose monitoring system".

Note that the CGMS is independent of the treatment-method
in use, and has no connection to anything but the body,
connected to skin only by its infusion-set-like sensor-probe.
Sure, future-development in future years might suggest
Al Mann's objective of making the "artificial pancreas" by
connecting the sensor system to a future pump, but it won't
be the MiniMed 507C that is their current product.
Besides, Animas might beat him to that target,
and they don't even sell us anything yet.
Both Disetronic and MiniMed pumps are good devices,
each has its own character.
I prefer my Disetronic pumps and supplies over my MiniMed,
and have certain personal distaste for some MiniMed company
practices... and but that is my own opinion.
Most MiniMed users did not have a choice, and many of them
are well-satisfied by MiniMed and their 50X series pumps.
Most of the complaints about pump-mechanics posted here
in IP-list are from MM-users because they so outnumber the
Disetronic users in North America.
My opinion is that "complaints per 100 pumps per year"
might be greater for MiniMed-users than Disetronic-users,
but that is not a measurement, ONLY my opinion founded on
only MY exerience PLUS observing others since December 1992.
In computer software marketing, pre-announcements describing
software that has not been "released" yet, and seems to keep
getting postponed for improvement, has been called "Vaporware".
You should regard the MiniMed CGMS, Cygnus Glucowatch,
the Animas R-1000 pump & sensor, Sooil Dana Diabecare, Dahedi 25,
all as vaporware for now, descriptions/links Walsh & Roberts:
In their webpages describing their
developments, such as the MiniMed CGMS page and its links,
are reminding us that these are NOT YET products,
and that they MIGHT NEVER be products (at least in USA).
  That means waiting for them or anticipating them is
somewhat like either of, say for example (NOT ACTUALLY!):
1) My now Saturday, finding I have no insulin in the house,
calling the pharmacy to order more, which would be delivered
to me on Wednesday. Hello DKA!
2) Having my car break down on the freeway, bicycle away to
a commercial realtor's office, there arrange to buy/or lease
an auto-shop business premise. Proposing to use that as the
place to do the engine-overhaul needed(?) on that car.
Real-estate takes a long time to "take possession"; then I
could use my "new" tow-truck to get the car back from where
the highway patrol took it after I didn't get it off the
edge of the road within 4 hours the day I left it there.
Oh, and I still haven't in this scenario, established my
auto-repair business, just gotten the building to use.
3) Sell-out of any market when it is down, keep the money
in cash until after it goes up again, THEN buy-in high,
wait for it to fall again...
4) Buy a house in some other place because that town
PLANS to build a new clinic which will provide pancreas
implants to its residents with diabetes.
Now we KNOW what vaporware sounds like!

Choose (or with your son) his pump based on what it can do now.
Even "other products" from one maker don't affect it's pump now.
A new engine being released for the Corvette sports-car shouldn't
suggest altering my choice of pickup truck manufacturer either
to or from Chevrolet.
In pumps, glucose meters, cars,
computers, home-appliances, any other technologies...
development will continue to release newer products.
Few of them will continue to be useful many years later,
but they are sold to us for our using them NOW while we can benefit.

David C. Winegarden
Fremont, CA