Re: [IP] diabetic/PWD and different perspectives (was John Walsh)

In a message dated 8/26/99 9:27:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< One other thought on this. . . is there maybe some difference of thought
 btwn. people with D and parents of people with D?  Obviously it won't be
 an even split, but I wonder if that's part of it.  I think I'd tend to
 be more protective of my child, making an effort not to define him/her
 as a diabetic but as a full-fledged, multifaceted person >>

You know Jen you might have a point here.  Part of my attitude on the subject
definitely stems from my parents and the way my mother approached diabetes in
my life.  Never afraid to tell anyone about it but certainly not allowing
anyone to think that they should feel sorry for me or that my life is less
then it could be.  I had a friend diagnosed about 6 months before me and her
mom was very different.  It was practically a pity party.  This was still
when there was urine testing but bg was right around the corner.  When meters
were available she wouldn't get one.  Said she was fine the way she was.  Has
never kept up with current times and suffers from complications.  And that is
only 18 years after diagnosis.  So even with us both being teenagers it also
mattered the approach our parents had.  My mother never wanted anyone to
think that diabetes made me less than I could be.  I even had a doctor
diabetic himself who instilled it in me.  He was the first one to put me on a
pump in 1985.  He himself was on one and he felt that if you got it
stabilized and could get non diabetic A1C's then you can and should look at
all food choices equally and how they affect you.  I definitely the attitudes
of those around us certainly shape our outlook.  Whether we are adults with D
or adults with children with D.