[IP] Quandaries for teachers

email @ redacted wrote:
 A very good response!!!  :)

One little addendum: I teach high school, and the kids are simply NOT
allowed to have gum, candy or pop in the classroom. If a diabetic
student were having a hypo, and started to consume something to treat it
in front of the other kids, and they didn't know why he was doing it,
holy hell would erupt in terms of "Why does HE get to eat candy and WE
don't???" etc.

Then what do I do?? If I tell them he's diabetic and treating a low, I'm
violating confidentiality. If I DON'T tell them, then I haven't a leg to
stand on as far as enforcing the no food in the classroom rule.  Which,
by the way, is an administrative rule, not a rule I set up myself.

What would you do???

(Parenthetically, if I do the same thing, without telling the kids, they
whine about "How come YOU get to eat candy, and we don't??" So I'm very
upfront with the kids about my needs.)

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted