Re: [IP] school and D -- longer ;)

>I still have to say that I hold by my original statement.  It is my one
>of most vehement beliefs that a child should not have to leave class,
>go to a "special testing area," or anything of the sort.  A child should
>be able to test at his/her desk, give injections at his/her desk, do
>what is needed at his/her desk.
>I also never said that teachers would not be informed.  In the above
>scenario, not only would my teacher have known what to do, but all
>my friends did too.  My point was and still is that if you ASK the
>"authorities," "may my child do this, or may my child do that?"  You
>are up for a fight that is unnecessary.  Why ASK the principal,
>the school board, the superintendent?  Don't tell the authorities.
>Just do it.  I would have been mortified as a child if I had to disrupt
>class to go to my special testing area with my special testing cabinet
>to do my special test.  This is completely unnecessary and this is what
>is liable to happen if you ASK how it should be done instead of telling
>them how you are going to do it.  I went through all my schooling years
>in this way.  I met another D my senior year who was taking his shots
>in the front office (nurse was PT) - I was shocked and asked why - and
>it was precisely because of one of these tell the authorities
>I told him I had done it all along whereever I needed, and he started
>to do this as well....

I agree wholeheartedly that a child should not be singled out or made to
leave the room, etc. when testing or doing whatever needs done (injection,
glucose tablets, etc.).  As a teacher, it infuriates me that students are
put in unnecessary & uncomfortable positions due to regulations that often
look good on paper but make no sense in practical terms.  If I had to leave
the room every time I tested, they would need a full-time substitute teacher
to walk around with me all day, so my kids wouldn't be left unsupervised.

There are several problems, though with having the child just "go ahead"
without asking.  In many schools (any school with sense, I would think)
parents are required to have on file a completed signed form detailing their
child's medical conditions, allergies, medicines & dosages, etc...so that
the child can be cared for should the unexpected happen.  It may sound
extreme, but bizarre circumstances DO arise...bus breakdown on a field trip,
snowed into school for hours beyond the regular school day, etc.  While it's
not the greatest likelihood, both of these HAVE happened at the school where
I teach.  If it's not known by the authorities as a regular practice (as in
"Johnny gives himself a shot each day at lunchtime, or when his blood sugar
is high"), the child may be prevented from administering what is needed.
With the current concerns in most schools about drugs, drug parephenalia, &
dangerous weapons (to some administrators that does mean lancets, sadly
enough), any student caught with such on their person may be subject to
punishment, unless the permission to have these items & use them is
preapproved by those in charge.  One of my middle school students was
suspended for five days for having a lookalike drug (a ziplock baggy full of
flour) on the bus.  It's a really good idea to check very carefully in the
student handbook to find out just what the rules are on these kind of
things, so that if you do have your child go ahead without formal
permission, you're not opening him or her up to a very confusing form of
"unjustified punishment."  Technically, the boy with the flour was in the
wrong...having what qualifies as even a "lookalike drug" was prohibited in
the handbook, which is board-approved & parent/student signed at the
beginning of the school year- so he did have to serve the suspension.  I
know most parents are very careful for their children...but in some
circumstances, a child could be penalized for doing as the parents have

It may be very different in different schools...I've only got my own (&
others in the local area) to draw on as far as firsthand knowledge goes.
I'm glad that your system worked well for you, & that you weren't in the
kind of situation we've apparently got here.  I guess the bottom line is,
parents need to investigate the school's policies & practices VERY
thoroughly in order to make the best decision for which way they will handle
the "get permission or not" situation.

No flames here...just very genuine concern for kids & the challenges they

Thanks for listening!  :)