[IP] school and D -- longer ;)

>I think it would be highly irresponsible to send my now 6th grader into a
>school without having alerted staff about a potential worse case scenario.
>Even adults in good control can have a severe hypo need assistance.

>Problem here being, the child could die in the process of "learning coping
>styles for such situations."  No, I'm not exaggerating.  I have a friend
>Michelle, who was diagnosed age 7, took injections/checked sugar levels at
>school, but was very "self-confident and assertive."  When she was in
>elementary school, her parents made sure the
>teachers/administrators/EVERYONE who might need the information was very
>well aware of her medicals needs & what danger signs to watch for (of
>undetected highs or lows), etc.  When she reached junior high, though, I
>guess they decided to let her "learn how to deal with problems without the
>'cushion' of the 'authorities' knowing."  She went WAY low one day in the
>eighth grade...it came on suddenly, & by the time she realized there was a
>problem she was incapable of correcting it herself or communicating it
>clearly to others.  She passed out- & the principal (who distantly
>remembered mention having been made once upon a time of her being diabetic,
>& knew that she had been fumbling for something in her bag before losing

>consciousness) found her insulin & syringe & prepared to give her the dose
>of insulin he mistakenly believed she needed!  The only thing that stopped
>him was that some child who had heard the commotion in the hallway told
>Michelle's little sister who she thought it was about...& she came flying
>out of her classroom & got there before the injection was given.  The man
>was trying to help her, & he nearly KILLED her...through ignorance, with all
>the while the very best of intentions.  If her teachers, her friends, the
>principal, the secretary, the custodian...anyone around knew what to look
>for & be concerned about it, & how to treat it, that would not have
>happened.  NOTHING is worth risking a child's safety through promoting

>is..if she has a child with diabetes who needs to go to the bathroom they
>leave the room and just go.
>If they need to test they can test..if they need some insulin they have to
>go to office and give themselves an injection (school policy not hers) if
>they need to eat they eat in her classroom. The librarian of the school as
>diabetes also so he set up a neat little area for any child who just wants
>to test...he tests with them and if the child is ok the child goes on with
>thier schedule.

I still have to say that I hold by my original statement.  It is my one
of most vehement beliefs that a child should not have to leave class,
go to a "special testing area," or anything of the sort.  A child should
be able to test at his/her desk, give injections at his/her desk, do
what is needed at his/her desk.

I also never said that teachers would not be informed.  In the above
scenario, not only would my teacher have known what to do, but all
my friends did too.  My point was and still is that if you ASK the
"authorities," "may my child do this, or may my child do that?"  You
are up for a fight that is unnecessary.  Why ASK the principal,
the school board, the superintendent?  Don't tell the authorities.
Just do it.  I would have been mortified as a child if I had to disrupt
class to go to my special testing area with my special testing cabinet
to do my special test.  This is completely unnecessary and this is what
is liable to happen if you ASK how it should be done instead of telling
them how you are going to do it.  I went through all my schooling years
in this way.  I met another D my senior year who was taking his shots
in the front office (nurse was PT) - I was shocked and asked why - and
it was precisely because of one of these tell the authorities conversations.
I told him I had done it all along whereever I needed, and he started
to do this as well....

I just don't feel that children should be to feel "special" or singled
out, but rather learn that their diabetes management is something
that is integrated fully with their life - not something you have to
take time outs for.

Please no flame wars... each to their own opinion!