[IP] re: Any teachers out there?

Sammi wrote:  I don't know the best route as far as handling "diabetic
issues" (for lack of a better term), such as the need to test or possible
reactions, where smaller children are concerned.  Anyone out there have any
good advice to offer?

Hi Sammi and all--I've been teaching in elementary schools for twenty years
(and have had diabetes since I was in grade school), and I've always felt
like school is (ok, can be!) the perfect place for someone with diabetes.
I tell my students about diabetes on the first day of class--just the basic
information, on their level.  I talk about what I do to take care of myself
(it used to be testing and shots as well as why I avoided foods with lots
of sugar; now it's testing and my pump  :)).  I also tell them that
sometimes I get too much medicine/insulin, and then I might need their
help.  I teach them how to use our school intercom system to contact the
office staff if I ever seem to be "sleeping" or acting funny--not making
sense, etc..  Their concern is always touching, and they take this subject
very seriously.

I've never had a major insulin reaction during class, but I have had to
test and treat--and because of my preteaching, they just accept it.
Also--it is a wonderful way to talk about THEIR individual needs,
differences, strengths, etc..  When their teacher is willing to talk about
sometimes needing help, it gives the children the support they need to
address their own needs.  Pretty cool, if you think about it!

If you're on what I think of as a traditional elementary schedule, you may
find that the recess and lunch breaks are perfect for your testing needs.
If not, it will all work out.  Kids are amazing!  Have a great year!

:)  Doreen in Wyoming