Re: [IP] school and D--PLEASE READ!!!

The thing I would like to suggest is that as
>the children get older they need to learn how to deal with problems
>without the "cushion" of the "authorities" knowing.  As adults we all
>find ourselves in situations where surrounded by unknowing strangers we
>have to deal with problems--either highs or worse lows.  I feel it is a
>good thing for the children to learn coping styles for such situations,
>because occassionally the people in these situations can make things
>worse if the individual with diabetes isn't self-confident and

Problem here being, the child could die in the process of "learning coping
styles for such situations."  No, I'm not exaggerating.  I have a friend
Michelle, who was diagnosed age 7, took injections/checked sugar levels at
school, but was very "self-confident and assertive."  When she was in
elementary school, her parents made sure the
teachers/administrators/EVERYONE who might need the information was very
well aware of her medicals needs & what danger signs to watch for (of
undetected highs or lows), etc.  When she reached junior high, though, I
guess they decided to let her "learn how to deal with problems without the
'cushion' of the 'authorities' knowing."  She went WAY low one day in the
eighth grade...it came on suddenly, & by the time she realized there was a
problem she was incapable of correcting it herself or communicating it
clearly to others.  She passed out- & the principal (who distantly
remembered mention having been made once upon a time of her being diabetic,
& knew that she had been fumbling for something in her bag before losing
consciousness) found her insulin & syringe & prepared to give her the dose
of insulin he mistakenly believed she needed!  The only thing that stopped
him was that some child who had heard the commotion in the hallway told
Michelle's little sister who she thought it was about...& she came flying
out of her classroom & got there before the injection was given.  The man
was trying to help her, & he nearly KILLED her...through ignorance, with all
the while the very best of intentions.  If her teachers, her friends, the
principal, the secretary, the custodian...anyone around knew what to look
for & be concerned about it, & how to treat it, that would not have
happened.  NOTHING is worth risking a child's safety through promoting
Funny, but that incident is part of a long chain of events that led me to
this list.  You see, Michelle is the one who taught me, after 11 years of
sort of "casually disregarding" my diabetes, that I needed to pay attention
to it.  She's the one who gave me her extra moniter (to replace the archaic
one I never used anyway) two years ago & sent me a whole package of supplies
(test strips, glucose tablets, ketone strips...you name it!), persuading me
for the sake of a long-distance friendship to "change my wicked ways!"  I
realized only a few weeks ago that she actually saved my life...or maybe my
eyesight, or a limb, or a few years that I otherwise wouldn't have had.  And
she might have lost her life years ago, had it not been for her sister's
fast actions & bravery!  Yes, bravery...I don't know many sixth-graders who
would charge up to the principal, knock him aside & yell at him!...they
might THINK about it, but that's another story!  :)  (Y'know, come to think
about it, as a teacher I've thought...okay, let's not go there!!

>This advice goes for medical personnel too.  Just a reminder that when
>dealing with an unknown to remember you probably know more than they
On the medical personel, I know EXACTLY what you mean.  I was in the
hospital in June (pre-pump) for stomach problems.  The nurse there came in
to give me my shot (3 & a1/2 hours AFTER I needed it) & was horrified that I
had already taken it...despite even the fact that my doctor had been present
when I did take it!!  Another nurse came in at 7:30 am to bring me orange
juice.  She said I'd need to drink it because my blood sugar was
low...according to the blood they had drawn at 3 am!  She became angry when
I told her it was not needed, that I had found myself low & corrected that
as usual. (again, per my doctor's directions!)  Some places just DO NOT LIKE
self-sufficient patients...& those are the places you want to avoid, if at
all possible!  :)

Hey, I just re-read my beginning...I didn't mean to get so harsh there.  I'm
normally a pretty easygoing person- that's just an area (promoting knowledge
over ignorance) that I get really militant about...could be due to the
knowledge of the the extent of my own previous nonchalance about diabetes (&
the realization of the complications with which I may pay for that), or
maybe it's just my evil nature as a teacher!!  Either way- no offence
intended, just wanted to share my strong opinion & the reason behind it!

Pumping & Smiling,