[IP] Sweets and diabetic children

Hi, Ellen,

Personally, I'm rather inclined to go along with YOU. Your son is a kid
who happens to have diabetes, and yes, it does put him at risk of some
problems later on, but guess what -- EVERYONE is at risk of problems in
their lives, not just DMers.

If his bloodwork is good, and if he's comfortable, and if sweets aren't
a forbidden fruit to him, then he won't think a Snickers bar is the end
of the world.

When I was a child, I wasn't allowed to have sweets (not because of DM,
but because my father was a dentist and my mother a nurse -- they wanted
us well nourished without cavities in our teeth!) -- and sweets became a
magnet to me and my brother and sister.

I remember, as a teenager, sneaking out to buy candy bars -- they were 5
cents each at the time, so a dollar bought TWENTY of them -- and then
sneaking them back into the house and consuming all 20 of them at one

As an adult, it took years before I finally came to terms with my
craving for sweets, and guilt for consuming them -- I finally told
myself I could have as much as I wanted, and as often as I wanted, and I
did exactly that -- for one period of several weeks, I literally ate
nothing but ice cream.

I emerged from this period fatter, but having lost the craving for
sweets -- nowadays I can take them or leave them.  (And I've lost the
weight, too!)  :)

I raised my son without any limitations on food -- any sort of food --
and he's a MUCH healthier eater than I was at his age. Or even than I am

While it's definitely harder with a diabetic child, nevertheless, there
is no such thing as a "bad" food, and all foods can be worked into the
child's meal plan -- better to let the kid be a kid, first, and learn
how to cover snacks with appropriate amounts of insulin. The kid has
enough on his hands already, without putting unnecessary and punitive
restrictions on him!

Good luck!
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted