[IP] Re: John Walsh (long)

Jill seems to have a problem with my philosophy of not viewing my son as a
diabetic (a word, a label, I CHOOSE not to use. I prefer instead to see  my
son as a person who loves to read, has many creative ideas, video game
afficianado.....and he has diabetes.  I don't like to sum him up as "a
diabetic").  Here's our correspondence.  Just want to get people's views on
this correspondence.  Frankly I'm flabbergasted by it.  The debate of
diabetes vs. diabetic has been tossed around for ages , even in Diabetes

To: email @ redacted

Unfortunately, IMHO, John Walsh knows crap about diabetes.  So big deal.  He
wrote a book.  I am not saying that eating a candy bar once in a great while
is a bad idea, especially if one is low, but to do it on the way to work and
then on the way home EVERYDAY is not appropriate,  especially for a diabetic.
 That is something that should not be done on a regular basis.  He could have
simply turned off his pump and rode to work.  And just because your kid is on
a pump does not mean that they don't have to live like a diabetic.  I think I
would know a little better than you.  I have been pumping for 20 years now,
and a diabetic for 38.  I was diagnosed at the age of 10 mos.  Put some years
on your kid and you will begin to understand.  Pumping is not a full proof
way to prevent complications.  It offers a little leeway and more
flexibility, but eventually time will take it's toll.

My son was diagnosed as a still nursing on demand toddler at the age of 15
months.  He endured 6 years of MDI which failed him misearbly , as did the
rigid meal plan, yada yada yada.  He's been pumping more than 4 years now,
his bloodwork looks good.  If he wants a snickers bar every day, he can have
it.  He's not a diabetic, as I don't use that word.  He is a person with many
qualities, and he has diabetes too.  John Walsh's book transformed my life in
that it opened up the world of pumping to me as it has to countless others.
Good luck and good health to you..

Ellen H. Ullman...

From:   email @ redacted (Jill M Meyer)
To: email @ redacted

I feel sorry for you, moreover I feel sorry for your son.  You mention that
reading John's book transformed your life, what did it do to your son???  He
didn't read the book.  Besides the fact that he is on a pump and his bgs are
great.  Your biggest mistake is saying to him that he is not a diabetic, he
just has diabetes.  He is a diabetic.  There will never been any running
from that truth. What will you do when HIS diabetes is no longer in YOUR
control.  As far as giving him a candy bar every day if he wants
one.....sounds to me like a guilt trip on your behalf.  He isn't a dog and
rewarding him because his bgs are great isn't a good idea.   I have seen
your posts on many a news group and lists.  You have done some good work on
getting people familiarized with pumps and opening doors for kids on them.
But some things you cannot change.

In a message dated 8/26/99 1:14:07 PM EST, email @ redacted writes:

> But some things you cannot change.

Please spare me your feeling sorry for me and my son.  You obviously know how
NOT to change.