[IP] restaurants and diet drinks/special orders

We've often had restaurant personnel question my daughter on why she orders a
diet drink ... she is a very fit, 12 year old. They will even look at me
funny ... as if, I'd put my 12 year old on a diet.

We have ordered a diet Lemonade before, and one particular store serves both
diet and regular, and Rachel watched the server go and fill her lemonade from
the regular lemonade dispenser. I have taught her to be very direct and say,
"Excuse me, but are you sure that's diet. I need a diet lemonade". If she
wants to explain, she can. If not, she doesn't have to.

I remember as a teenager working in a fast food restaurant and someone
wanting their french fries without salt. I thought the person was just being
picky. Now, I realize they were probably on a sodium restricted diet. These
food service establishments really should teach all their employees the
important health reasons someone may order the way they do. It really should
be part of a mandatory test.

Hmmm ... anyone interested in a new job going around the country and testing
all these restaurants???