[IP] pharmacists, pumps, and humalog

I at the pharmacy the other day filling my daughter's rx for Humalog...this
is our first filling since beginning the pump, but did use Humalog before.
The last rx we had filled for Humalog was the pen, so that's what they
decided to dispense this time. Upon seeing this, I told the cashier that I
did not want the pen I wanted the vials. I further explained how I had
already tried filling the pump "chamber" with the pen and it was just too
difficult. She in turn, went to the pharmacist and told him what I said. They
were a little distance away from me, but I was looking and listening ... I
have great hearing ... to what they were saying. Anyway, his comment to her
was..."humalog in a pump, they don't do that". I shouted...well, not really
shouted, but spoke very loudly..."oh yes they do, Humalog is used in a pump
all the time". The pharmacist just shook his head and filled the rx, but said
they want a new prescription from the endo for the next filling. I said,
"Don't worry, that won't be a problem".

Now, this is probably the largest ... by volume of rx's filled ... pharmacy
in the Baltimore area. (In fact, when I worked at the Johns Hopkins pharmacy
years ago, I spoke with one of the drug reps, and he told me it was his
customer and was the most active pharmacy in his territory.)

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting, and I wonder if that pharmacist
went home and investigated the pump and Humalog <smile>. I hope he did.

Outspoken Mom of Rachel