From: Jen Woodall [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 1999 8:06 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] airport security story

Hi all.
I had a neat experience at BWI airport on Sunday when I went to pick up my
sister.
Since airport security has been a recent topic, I thought I'd share it.  As
I was going
through the "bomb detector" in the terminal, a woman who was working there
said to me,
"Wait a minute!  Is that a pump?"  I said yes and walked through the
detector.  She
looked concerned and asked me if it was o.k. to take the pump through.  I
said that it
was and added, "It's just so nice to run into someone who knows what an
insulin pump
is!"  She said she was diabetic also.  "Oh, great!  Wonderful!" I said, as I
hurried
off to the gate.  I realized later that "great" and "wonderful" aren't
necessarily the
first words that most people think of in terms of diabetes.  Hope she
understood that
it was the connection I was talking about, not the fact that she is
diabetic!  So. . .
in at least 1 U.S. airport, there is at least 1 employee who can identify an
insulin
pump.
Jen