[IP] a1c and banshee moments

no offense taken by ME Leslie, 8-)

you write:
> can anyone explain why Sara's A1C's are anywhere from 6.8 to 8.3
> (?) and mine are all in the 5.0 to 6.0 range

actually mine are in the 6.8 - 7.3 range, not 8.3 range, and have been for
the last 2 years, which is actually LESS of a variability than yours.  What I
hope to achieve with my blood sugars is stability.  I don't eat and test and
exercise to reach any particular A1C number, and I try not to validate myself
as "good" or "bad" based on my A1c.

I, and my team, just want controlled stability.  My doctor thinks a low A1c
is USUALLY, for MOST people, in GENERAL (is that covering my ass enough?),
indicative of an insulin-oholic with lots of lows.  I want to avoid
swings...which is why I don't aim for 80-120, but rather 100-150.  It is the
LOWS that are bad for my bleeding eyeballs.  Lows don't "cancel" out highs in
the A1C scheme of things anyway.  I don't enjoy it much when my bg gets below
100.  My family and friends hear my crows of ecstasy when I come in at 119
and 124!!

I wrote:
> I have only had 3 A1Cs that were higher than 8.0 (in the last 6.5
> years of pumping), but I was also in a horrible place in my life...

You ask about our differences, when i actually tested lower than you that
particular day, but you can't really compare one day...I may have been on the
rag (or visiting Aunt Flo or your ephemism of choice) and had my basals
potted up slightly, or your site might have been just this side of ready to
be changed or or or or or or ad infinitum.

One just can't compare one person's numbers to anothers...for example, I feel
like crap at 65, whereas some people feel just fine there...there are people
with complications whose A1cs are below 7, and some complication free people
with 8+ A1cs - everyone is different

there are lots of debates on how to describe what the a1c ACTUALLY
measures...I have yet to hear the definitive explanation, but i do know you
can't go by the "average" your meter gives you.  That is a skewed average.  I
test at least every 20 to 30 minutes when my blood sugar is over 250, but I
don't normally test that much...all those higher than 250 numbers make my
meter average higher...

leslie wrote:
> (except for the banshee moment:-))

heh heh...should I explain this?  sure why not...we were at the Ren faire in
VA and had picked up our lunch...both she and I were feeling a little
famished as we headed over to the picnic tables.  They were all full except
one that had 2 kids sitting at it.  We nicely (really) asked if we could
share their table and they said OK, but they needed to save a place for their
mom...so since there was PLENTY OF ROOM, we sit down, test, bolus and start
to eat...The mom comes running over and starts YELLING at the kid for not
saving the table.  We apologized - said the kid had said it was okay for us
to sit there.  She got real ugly and nasty and rude, and yelled at US!!! and
basically, to sum up a really hilarious moment, Leslie let her have it, 4
letter words and all!  It was a Kodak moment!!!  this mean old lady and her
poor innocent kids (i felt so bad for them!! they were so embarassed),
feeling the wrath and ire of Leslie at bg 65 (or whatever it was - i don't
remember)...it was just so funny

could someone please define hyperbolic and histrionic for me.  I think i have
been insulted but I want to make sure before I react.