Re: [IP] A1C

Bagwill Family wrote:

>  Anyways, can anyone explain why Sara's A1C's are anywhere from
> 6.8 to 8.3 (?) and mine are all in the 5.0 to 6.0 range yet the day we spent
> together we both tested just as much and I actually ran a little higher
> (except for the banshee moment:-))  Now I know this was just one day but I
> am still curious as to whether A1C's are averages or how they actually work.

Folks who know me from other lists know that this is one of my favorite

When I  was struggling unsuccessfully to control my DM with diet and
pills, I was testing intensively, desperately trying to figure out a way
to keep my BGs from rising even more each day (let alone coming down),
and I NEVER saw a reading below 150, but many in the high 200's and into
the mid 300's -- I had an A1c of 7.1.

Well, supposedly, a 7.1 should reflect an average of about 150, but
there was NO way this could have been true for me -- I tested day and
night, and NEVER went below 150 at any time. I think I was averaging
about 220 or so.

Conversely, the best A1c I have ever had on insulin was 5.0 -- which
should mean an AVERAGE of 90 -- but again, there is NO way I could be
averaging 90 -- my BGs just aren't that low 95% of the time. I would say
I probably average around 120.

Consequently, I ONLY use the A1c as a self-reference point -- I do NOT
compare my A1c with anyone else's -- it just doesn't mean the same
thing. And I don't let the doc's complacence fool me -- *I* know what
are appropriate goals for myself -- and because I use insulin and am not
dependent on a doc's prescription for pills, I can regulate my DM

Interestingly enough, the m.h.d. FAQ has a reference to an article that
says that for the same average BGs, A1cs may vary up to 1% in either
direction. This makes sense, in light of my own experience, and also is
relevant to those people who struggle and struggle and can't get
"normal" A1c's.

I guess this goes to show, once again, that you have to be your OWN team
leader in your diabetes management -- you have to know yourself -- know
your own body, and know what you can and can't achieve. It absolutely
doesn't matter what anyone else thinks -- you are the one who's living
in your body, and you're the only one who can determine what's
appropriate for you. And you will be the one who lives with the
consequences of your decisions, be they good ones or bad ones.

I've always liked the motto (I can't remember who came up with it) "My
body, my science experiment"!

Anyway, even after rereading, and re-rereading Sara's statement, IN
context, I still think it was histrionic and hyperbolic -- and not
really funny to one who had to struggle and suffer for a year trying to
get appropriate diabetes treatment -- all because of this perfect belief
in the infallibility of the A1c number.

I don't get called Type Weird for nuthin', ya know!!!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted