[IP] How God Selects the Mother of a Child with Diabetes

Does anyone know what book of Bombeck's I can find this in?  Thank you.

Laura Lentini-Iaffaldano
Daughter, Laura, dx 12/21/98, age 5

                               by Erma Bombeck
Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice, a few by social
pressures and a
couple by habit. Did you ever wonder how mothers of children with diabetes
are chosen?
Somehow I visualize God hovering over earth selecting his instruments for
with great care and deliberation. As he observes, he instructs his angels to
make notes in agiant ledger."Armstrong, Beth, son. Patron Saint Matthew."
"Forrest, Marjorie, daughter, Patron Saint Cecilia."
"Rutledge, Carrie, twins. Patron Saint Gerard. He's used to profanity."
Finally, He passes a name to an angel and smiles, "Give her a child with
diabetes." Theangel is curious. "Why this one, God? She's so happy."
"Exactly", smiles God. "Could I give child with diabetes to a mother who
does not knowlaughter? That would be cruel".
"But has she the patience?" asks the angel.
"I don't want her to have too much patience, or she will drown in a sea of
self-pity and
despair. Once the shock and resentment wear off, she'll handle it. I watched
her today. She
has that feeling of self and independence that is so rare and so necessary
in a mother. You
see, the child I am going to give her has her own world. She has to make it
live in herworld and that's not going to be easy."
"But, Lord, I don't think she even believes in you."
God smiles. "No matter. I can fix that. This one is perfect. She has
selfishness."The angel gasps. "Selfishness? Is that a virtue?"
God nods. "If she cannot separate herself from the child occasionally, she
will never
survive. Yes, here is a woman whom I will bless with less than perfect."
"She does not realize it yet, but she is to be envied. I will permit her to
see clearly the
things I see .... ignorance, cruelty, prejudice ... and allow her to rise
above them. She will
never be alone. I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life
because she isdoing my work as surely as if she is here by my side."
"And what about her patron saint?" asks the angel, his pen poised in mid
air. God smiles."A mirror will suffice."