Subj:    Re: insulin pumps and children
Date:   8/23/99 9:29:26 AM EST
From:   email @ redacted (Martha McCallum)
To: email @ redacted
CC: email @ redacted

Janet Silverstein, Desmond Schatz, Toree Malasanos, & Andrew Muir are our
peds endo docs. We do not put "young children" on CSII and as a matter of
fact have a very strict criteria for even the teenagers/young adults who want
pumps. They must perform intensive therapy with testing , multiple daily
injections, and carb count for 3-6 months before we consider putting them on
. I am forwarding your note on to my colleague Patricia Salisbury, ARNP, CDE.
Thanks for your inquiry. martha =)

Martha H. McCallum, RN, CDE
Diabetes Nurse Clinician
PO Box 100335
Nursing Education
Gainesville, FL  32610-0335
(352) 395-0680 x 54482

>>> <email @ redacted> 08/22/99 08:32AM >>>
I would like to know if Shands is putting young children on the insulin pump
now.   If so, which pediatric endocrinologists are the most pump savvy.
Thank you.

Regards,
Ellen H. Ullman
Mom, Advocate for children with diabetes and their parents, Friend,
Webmaster...<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/CamelsRFun/index.html">
http://members.aol.com/CamelsRFun/index.html </A> aka KidsRPumping.
PLEASE SUPPORT FUNDING A CURE FOR DIABETES.  MY FAVORITE CHARITY IS DIABETES
RESEARCH INSTITUTE IN MIAMI FLORIDA <A HREF="http://www.drinet.org">DRI</A>.
You choose a charity and work toward the cure.