Re: Subject: Re: [IP] humalog at room temp

> I was at a church picnic when one of Jenna's friends casually
> remarked that her pump had run out of insulin several hours earlier
> at school, and she didn't have any more insulin with her.  As
> thoughts of DKA at the picnic raced through my head,

There is 10 or 20 units of insulin in the line between the site and
the pump (depends on short/long line). This insulin can be used by
removing the syringe from the pump, disconnecting the line at the
leur lock and filling the syringe with air. Reconnect the line and do
just enough of a prime to engage the drive arms and get a drip or two
out of the quick disconnect fitting. The air in the syringe will then
push the insulin remaining in the line.

Guess who has had to do this twice! at school. But.... it worked fine
and bg's were OK until she got home and was able to draw up some more